Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Surprising What is There When You Look

      A few weeks ago someone posted about a mural on a fence. Aha, I said. I know where there's something similar beside me.

       About 3 or 4 years ago an interesting art piece was placed on my neighborhood school fence. For about a 100 m a pattern of fish were attached to the fence. I thought, "Well, that looks nice but I wonder what it is." Well, I kept driving by the school 5 or 6 times a week. I always noticed the fish.



       Now the fish were bright colors and many shapes. From the road it looked like they were ceramics. I was impressed.


      I could only think that it was a very interesting school art project. So with the post a few weeks ago I decided I had to take a look at the fence mural. One afternoon I took my camera to take a look.






      I was impressed. It was a project to teach kids about fish conservation. I'm sure the kids learned about different kinds of fish and fish habitat. They probably learned about fish anatomy. And the art project was a big part. I'm sure the kids will remember what they learned for a long, long time.



      Someone cut out basic fish shapes from plywood. It looks like there were 5 or 6 different shapes and I'm sure each kid would get one of each pattern to paint. Some kids tried to paint a realistic fish such as speckled trout. Some were very, very good. Others had some very imaginary patterns.

      So I've been driving by an interesting project for three or four years missing out on it's significance. How many other people have been passing by and not investigated?

       So hats off the the kids, teachers and school for creating a very interesting project.

   






32 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure it went over big with the kids.

      Delete
  2. And good for you for taking the time to notice and check it out. It really is a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it took me long enough. I'll know better next time.

      Delete
  3. What a great project, I like the theme. May have to work a few up around a garden fence.

    When shooting a bird shot I work fast and furious sometimes, taking a lot hoping for a little.They notice the cameras eye, and depending on species fly off fast not wanting to be prey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was a kid I'd like this. I will have to try the fast business.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! I agree -- it's easy to pass by so much cool stuff without even noticing it. Hats off to you for stopping and getting some pictures and the backstory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the projects these days are very attractive.

      Delete
  5. oh, i love this! perfect for a 'school' fence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome for a school fence. I wondered why no vandalism. They're wired on with very heavy wire.

      Delete
  6. Amazing how we miss things like this! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks very nice and great for the children to exhibit their works to the public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , I imagine some kids still go and check their fish.

      Delete
  8. Hi Red, What a neat project. Congrats to the kids and teacher(s) who put it all together. On another subject: I just happened to see an article about the kids in Fort McMurray returning to school in about two weeks for the first time since the fires. Thought you might enjoy reading it so here is a link http://globalnews.ca/news/2899022/we-need-to-be-listening-fort-mcmurray-schools-prepare-to-welcome-students-back-after-wildfire/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fort MacMurray thing is most complicated. I imagine it will be years before things get back to normal.

      Delete
  9. I like the schools of fish as a school project. Very glad you did stop, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a wonderful project! So glad you stopped and found out what it was all about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An educational project, and a good way to brighten up a boring chain-link fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about brightening up a fence. I guess a few more boring things could be brightened up.

      Delete
  12. What a grat way of displaying the kids' art! I'm glad you stopped and checked it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't we think of these things when we were teaching?

      Delete
  13. It is so wonderful to read about creative ways of teaching .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some excellent strategies now. I wish I had known about them.

      Delete
  14. What a fun way to teach kids about fish conservation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if eating fish was part of the school's fish project?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is very beautifully creative painting the kids did and the wood carving from manual training. We had Home Economics, cooking and sewing and the boys the other title. Wood carving. painting. The teaching part of fishing is thumbs up for that smart teacher. My dad was a game warden. So I knew about fish regulations. When and how big is allowed.

    ReplyDelete