Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Stories From an Account Book

     In my last post I told you about a package that I received that held many stories. Of course I told the most fascinating one first.

    However, who knew that a plain ordinary little old farm account book could contain many stories? My Mom kept books for the farm. Things that were bought and sold were carefully entered. There were no totals or balances. The list just went on. The account book covered parts of the years 1944 - 1947.

    One entry, among many, caught my eye. The entry simply says Dr. and hospital boys tonsils. Aha! This is when my brother and I had our tonsils out! The doctor charge was $30.00 and the hospital charge was $17.00. There was no date for this entry, not even the year. I vaguely remember getting my tonsils out. I was not in school yet so it would have to be 1944. I can remember eating jelly in the hospital and getting into trouble from the nuns for getting out of bed to play with my brother. Once we got home we insisted on more jelly as we really liked jelly.

   The changes in charges are would be rather obvious. I wonder what the procedure changes would be? What would have been use for an anesthetic? What other medications would have been used?

    Shortly after this the Saskatchewan govt. brought in hospital care. So from that time on Saskatchewan residents did not have to pay for hospital care.

   So one entry brings back long ago memories. I'm sure that if I talked to my brother he would add more details.http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8688207620251526295#editor/target=post;postID=1929825484963442768;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=1;src=postname

22 comments:

  1. I remember many children had their tonsils out in those days but not mine. Glad you don't have bad memories of the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as my brother and I were together things were alright!

      Delete
  2. I can remember having jello and ice cream when I had my tonsils out and even though my throat was sore, I got to eat all the jello and ice cream I wanted. Boy, some would tremble at the prices of Doctors and Operations going on today, eh Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember a sore throat but it must have been sore. As someone commented you wouldn't get in the door for $30.00

      Delete
  3. Hi Red. I found this post via my bookmark of your blog. Those old records have to be so interesting! My Grandmother kept a little book of info, and in it was a record of when my brother and I had the Chicken Pox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my tonsil operation but to see it written adds something to it.

      Delete
  4. Very cool to have those records. A slice of family history is always fascinating to pore over. I quite clearly remember many of the events surrounding having my tonsils out when I was around 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty good to remember stuff when you're three.













































      Delete
  5. I still have my tonsils. Now you cant even walk in the door for $30! So cool to have all those old records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old records are cool and I'm sure I can find more stories.

      Delete
  6. That would be so interesting to look through the records. Yes, those charges are amazing. I had my tonsils out when I was about 5. I still remember how my throat hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember a black mask going over my face and a real sore throat and even ice cream didn't taste good...I think I was in second grade.
    Interesting to look back at what your Mom wrote:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was about 4 so I don't remember the really bad stuff.

      Delete
  8. Hi

    At last found your blog again. This machine ate it when it went "belly-up", and heaps of expense later! My God, Computer Technicians know how to charge. Hopefully in Canada it is less???

    Interesting re: the found accounts from way back, maybe you should donate (photocopy) them for a college or historical society.

    No sauna here yet in Brisbane, Australia - hot days but cool nights, unfortunately the cool nights will vanish soon.

    And my tonsils are still in place - tonsil removals are only done here as a last resort it seems. Actually I don't know anyone who is tonsil-less.

    Merry Christmas to all your readers and a wonderful 2014 of health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother had the book and sent it to me.

      Delete
  9. So Red that is why they call it the "Good old days":) just kidding thank goodness for our health care system now I love that we have it.Nice having those documents. Merry Christmas Red to you and your family. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you. $30.00 doesn't seem like much but back then it was a lot of money.

      Delete
  10. i wish health care was that affordable now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... or for that matter a lot of other things. How about an ice cream cone for a nickel?

      Delete
  11. Wow, that sounds like pretty cheap surgery now, but like you say, back then it was a substantial sum! Glad we have universal healthcare now.

    I got my tonsils out when I was five. I still remember them putting the mask over my face and counting backwards as I got the anaesthesia. I had complications after surgery and was stuck in hospital for two weeks, but I remember I got a new Barbie doll!

    ReplyDelete