Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I Had to Shop Today

     Those who follow me know that I am a reluctant shopper with very few skills  and no desire. Today I had to do the weekly grocery run as my micro manager was quite under the weather.

    The micro manager always has a long list for two stores. Some items on her list are optional. She watches for them to go on sale. 

    When I do any shopping for her I demand a highly detailed list. So brand, size, cost and number are very explicitly written out. Why do I demand this? It comes from the famous toilet paper episode. Toilet paper was on sale and since I was going by the place I was asked to get toilet paper. I was given the specific brand with a x2 beside it. I came home with two cases instead of the two packages she wanted. Nothing on her list said packages. So after that the list had to be very precise.

    I had two places to go today. The first place I bought 3 grocery items and a pharmacy item. So I wrote down prices and consulted my notes before I went to the cashier. Well, my mandarin oranges were keyed in at the wrong price and I had to get that adjusted.

    I needed much more items at the second place. There were two items I could not find and I picked up two others that I knew to be a good deal. I also needed two prescriptions and one was already fouled up as  they only had 100 pills instead of 400. Through  the cashier and check my slip. Oops they keyed in the wrong grapes. So I had to go to customer service and get that corrected. 

    So I arrive home and go over in detail what had happened. The first question was , "Why did you only get one milk?" "Oh, I'll bet I left it in the car!" Sure enough one milk was left in the car. Then another question. Where are the grapes? We couldn't find the grapes and then it slowly dawned on me that when I went to customer service to get the adjustment on grapes that I had left the grapes on the counter. 

    So with all these disasters, who would want to do any shopping? On the other hand if I did more shopping, I'm sure I'd get better at it. Is my micro manager going to delegate the shopping to me? I doubt it!

27 comments:

  1. it is a daily effort it seems for me. I call it a social call at one store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people shop that way . They drop into the store everyday. We make a once a week grocery run.

      Delete
  2. Hi Red. How weird that blogger isn't posting your blogs..I will check more often and comment on your page....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on the problem but I haven't found a solution yet.

      Delete
  3. And here I thought that X2 meant 2 ply. I would have failed that particular shopping list, also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well one thing is perfectly clear after reading this post, Red. We have exactly the same attitude about shopping....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And does your manager buy clothes for you?

      Delete
  5. oh, dear! leaving the grapes on the counter after having the hassle of getting the price corrected... ugh!

    (and i'm not getting your feed at all anymore. the last two times, i've realized i hadn't visited your site or gotten notices of posts and just came over here from your blog address. very sad...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have discovered that there are parts of my feed that are missing or incorrect so I will have to work on setting up a new feed.

      Delete
  6. i'd have surely thought x2 was 2 ply also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making the effort to drop by. I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  7. Your shopping escapade was quite an experience! Also, I'm not getting your feed at all anymore either. To find this post I had to click on you in my Reading List, come over to your blog to see if you had been posting anything. I just decided to check, so here I am. Blogger is so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've discovered that there is a problem with my feed. Now I just have to figure out how to repair it.

      Delete
  8. Ha! These are the reasons I try to limit my own shopping, since the stress factor is hardly worth the effort. I also am having to come visit you knowing that I might not be receiving your feed. I wonder what happened? I'll try taking you out and re-adding you and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to redo my fed a there is stuff missing. I would think things have changed an what I set up is missing some stuff.

      Delete
  9. I cannot reenter your feed to my list. This is the message I got:
    Feed cannot be validated. Validation results:
    http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=hiawathahouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to feed validator but I don't know how to work with it. I will have to find somebody to do it. Funny thing. I follow my blog on my site. I took it off. Now I've just added it with no problem.

      Delete
  10. I think your manager will make a shopper out of you yet!
    Hope she's feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't bet on it. She's on the mend. Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  11. Maybe this is deliberate. If you mess up you won't be asked to do it again???!!!
    BTW
    20cm of snow last night! Don't think we'll catch up with you, tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. I'll be asked. I don't get out of anything here. For the most part I look at it as a partnership. 20 cm should keep you busy.

      Delete
  12. Red, I just tried to do what DJan did... re-enter your feed in the reader I use, which is Feedly. When I entered your URL, it gave me three options from which to choose.

    Hiawatha House - which indicates that you haven't updated since your problem occurred.

    Hiawatha House RSS - which gives me an error message much like DJans

    Hiawatha House Atom - gives me your current posts going back to 28 days ago, beginning with the post Prepared for Winter.

    So for now, I've clicked on that one to get your posts. Hopefully your next ones will show up there too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been looking at feed validator but don't know what they're talking about when they describe the errors. I think maybe atom works because the odd person picks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for making the effort to tell me about this. Now if I could only find someone to fix this. It's beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW - after all that I do not know if I would want that experience. I make a list and always have a few items I always check on, for they always seem to have instore sales....but its usually a quick trip. Now the Kernal :) - says I stop to talk to everyone - NO - they talk to me. he,he My Mother brought me up proper - be polite n talk.
    I am so used to just receiving yours posts, that I remembered today to check in on you. I did actually miss this post and glad to seen it. I had a similar problem some time ago and then joined Bloglovin', which is easy enough to do and was for me - and now everyone can find me easy enough, for I added all MY blogging friends that I follow to Bloglovin' and when one writes a new post, it just shows the number in red in a icon up in the corner of my info bar on pc. Thats a real easy solution if you cannot figure the other problem out. Happy Ho Ho

    ReplyDelete