Friday, November 1, 2013

What a Rotten Day!

     Ordinarily I'm a fairly low key , laid back kind of guy. My glass is always half full. It takes a lot to happen before I complain.

     Today was a day that just went a little too far. The day was a failure!  I now have some problems  to solve later on.

      This afternoon was nice , but the forecast for tomorrow is terrible. We're supposed to get lots of snow. So I really wanted to get these jobs done. Needless to say I was under a little bit of pressure. I did have the time to do what I wanted.

    Most people here try to mow their lawn one last time as late in the season as possible. The main purpose for this mowing is to pick up the few leaves that are left and they are mulched by the mower. You also let the engine run out of gas so that no gas is left in the tank over the winter. .I had some fine days last week when this job could have been done but I was busy. I got my lawn mower out before noon and put it in the sun so it would warm up. When I came out to start it after lunch  I gave a few pulls on the starter cord and all of a sudden the cord did not rewind. End of story. I can't get my mower to go. No emptying of the gas tank this year. Put the mower away and I'll fix this in the spring.

    The next job was to test the antifreeze in the vehicles to see if it is the proper strength. You have to take the radiator caps off, run the engine and warm it up. I tested the first car and went to shut the motor off. When I came back the radiator had made a great burp and about 1.5 liters of antifreeze had spilled out of the radiator. Okay now wipe everything off. Try and wipe as much antifreeze up . Then get the garden hoses and wash off the area. Oh, did I say that I'd put the hoses away for the winter! Or did I say that I'd turned off my outside water outlet. So what a mess and a lot of work for what should have been a simple task. 

   So by this time most of the afternoon is gone. I am just about out of control. I hadn't had time for coffee.

   So to write this post is good therapy for me to get back my sense of  reason.

11 comments:

  1. Gee Red, every once in a while the day just does get that frustrating and without that nice cuppa when one should have it is frustrating too. Seems like it was the day when all went wrong, but, wait a minute. You relaxed, wrote this post and I bet your sense of reason is back too. Hope it all worked out for you - Have a nice day, Eh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i HATE days like this! so sorry, red! the antifreeze sounds awful. glad you sprayed it all away, though, since it can be toxic/fatal to animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking just like Tex.. about the toxicity of antifreeze. I'm glad you dealt with it but I sure am sorry that you've had such a frustrating day. May today be MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just one of those days....
    Take care Red!
    What a great series of beautiful family. I love it! :-)

    Best regards from the Netherlands,
    dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeez! It doesn't rain but what it pours. And then freezes. Sorry to hear about your gloomy day. Hope it got better once you had that coffee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a Murphy's law kind of day.
    I hope things just get better for you.
    Lots of snow? I am so not ready for that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Red, that's quite the day... sorry to hear everything that could go wrong pretty much did. I hope your days that follow run a whole lot smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somedays you are better off going back to bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a time. I was so upset when my hoses froze. It's only a matter of a few days, and it all goes to hell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was not a pleasant day! You should have stopped and had that coffee break!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. A bad day indeed. Do you ever put a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank? Like StaBil or Heet. It keeps water from getting in the fuel tank. And also helps to keep the points from gumming up. We use it on everything.Tractors, feed truck, mowers, 4 wheelers. Anything that will sit for more then 30 days.

    ReplyDelete