Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Runaround

     Like many people I have had a security light at my front door for a few years. For the last two years it would come on often ans stay on for for five or ten minutes. So I turned the light off. A few nights ago when it was Halloween, I wanted a light on so the kids could see where they're going. The light wouldn't come on.

    So it's time to get a new light.

     There was a ten year warranty on this light. My manager keeps all receipts and product information. So the next day she phoned the outlet we bought the light from. For most products, like lights, you take them back to the store and  get a new one.

     Now starts the runaround. She phoned the store. After a few false starts she finally got to customer service. The Bozo told her the store didn't exchange these lights and she would have to deal with the company. So he gave her a phone number that was wrong. We looked on the product booklet and found a number. Again runaround. You get one person and get put on hold and the line goes dead. Phone back again and somebody acts really dumb. Phone back again and get warranty. They say they don't look after this and you have to go to the technicians. Okay , the technicians say yes they look after warranty. The technician wanted us to put black tape over some eye and try it for a week and if it worked he would send us a gizmo for a permanent fix. If it didn't work, he'd give us a new one.

     Then my manager looked at the warranty again and it said , "Take the product back to the store for an exchange." So phone back to the store with the lousy phone system. This time customer service put her through to electrical. The person in electrical said, "Sure, they'd exchange. Just bring it in." 

   So after a couple of 8 hour days work we finally got our security light exchanged.

    The product had a nice fat ten year warranty. I really think the companies work on the theory that the customer will not look at the warranty and when the product quits the customer will go out and buy a new one.

    What a runaround!

    Have you had similar problems with stores, phone systems or warranties?

34 comments:

  1. An amazing story! You had to take a long breath but in the end you were the winner, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sometimes wonder if it's worth all the time and effort!

      Delete
  2. Only a couple of eight hour days of work eh?:) Sounds like a good warranty yes I have had that happen to me I really think they tell you it has a long warranty just so you will by it. Good job Red. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of the long warranty as a sales gimmick!

      Delete
  3. I have had to tangle in that area once or twice and mostly I have just dug into my trusty files, picked out the sales slip and warranty and marched off to the store. I live in a pretty small town, so we are not bothered too much on returns as long as you have your sales slip. Wow, Red, that would have been a very long way to process the day of "return". I agree with you, though, that most companies react this way. Interesting post Sir :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They see to have no end of bozos on their staffs.These clowns you talk to are just short an awful lot of bricks!

      Delete
  4. No, I don't, because I'm one of those people who goes out and buys a new one. Sigh. I guess I'm part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure about 90% of people do not save receipts and do not even think of looking for a warranty.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was frustrating, but good to find out that I was right.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you were persistent. Stores and manufacturers are going to have to learn that they cannot push the consumer around. Customer Service is sometimes non existent, sometimes I win sometimes not...but if something has a warranty then it should work for at least that long! I keep all those papers too..just like your manager:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay if the warranty has run out but they should back it up during the warranty time and it should be simple to settle.

      Delete
  7. Un sueño enloquecedor

    un abrazo

    fus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like such a frustrating ordeal. Talk about terrible service! Yes, I've had experiences like that. Very maddening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Red. The companies assume we would think the warranty had long expired. What they don't know is that we are smarter than they are. :)
    So glad you got it fixed. My daughter has had good success with a Mr. Coffee maker and a Case Thermos. Both were replaced. Her experience is most likely not the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for many people, they just don't have the time to put into chasing people around to get warranty service.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes we miss out on the fine print.
    Who ever thought of a 10 year warranty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed the fine print about being able to take it back to the store.

      Delete
  11. Well, the products that I buy, always get broke JUST after the warranty has expired.. :-)

    Many greetings from the Netherlands,
    dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another thing. Products are designed for a fairly specific length of time. I'm sure they want it to be like your experience...last until just after the warranty.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. There was some foul language around here.

      Delete
  13. Well isnt that like the Presidents deal. Buy mine. I guarantee you. You have the best deal. (Really)???

    You can have your own health Insurance it will cover all costs. . No you can't unless you want to pay higher premiums without a job. We have know Jobs. JOBS.

    Lights has burned out. Hello. Now what?.Oh My.


    So I applaud you . Your the wiser one.

    You get my vote.

    Your not crazy. Your just Smarter then them. It is the dumber and dumber ones who let it go unsovled. They pay the price at the end.

    Great blog Red.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advertising is very hard to read...the fine print I mean!

      Delete
  14. Red,

    Three minutes ago I received six posts from you, the first dated Oct. 30th. I'm assuming these are older posts I never received. If you don't hear from me then something is wrong because I'll always leave a response, unless I'm on vacation. I wonder what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about this. Tex had three come all at once. I don't know what is happening. Thanks for being a dedicated reader and commenting on all posts and telling me about the problem.

      Delete
  15. Oh dear! I always look at the warranty and keep the product info too! The stores HATE dealing with warranty stuff. Too bad! I take it back and get a new one. They always always try to give you the runaround.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather stressful when you get this type of service.

      Delete
  16. Drives me crazy when they make you go in circles with warranties .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they really want you to just go away.

      Delete
  17. Oh yes, that sounds like a familiar story! It's much easier for them to give us the run-around rather than actually standing behind their warranties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier for them to dodge the warranty but pretty shabby business practices.

      Delete
  18. When I fight for my rights, I am always satisfied! I find stores are good at taking things back, for the most part. Good work.

    ReplyDelete