Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I Don't (Can't) Sing

    The other day I listened to an hour long radio documentary about choral singing. They examined four different choirs and the values singers got out of the activity and what others received from the music. It was fascinating and got me thinking about music.

    Now it doesn't take much to get me thinking about music. I love music and I listen to a many different kinds of music. I not only like to listen to music but to listen to information about the music.However , I have absolutely no musical talent at all. I admire people who do have musical ability.

    The first time I remember participating in music was a disaster. In gr. 2 I got kicked out of the rhythm band! My brother and I were playing sticks. Somehow or other we got carried away and started hitting each other with the sticks. I must have been the aggressor and  my music career ended early. I also remember the pleasure of singing in Sunday School 

   So back to the documentary. I got thinking about how singing is so very important to people. People learn much about themselves as they sing. They have to take directions and cooperate with others to produce the music. Each singer has to know their part as well as the other parts. Then they have to sing their part and not the other guy's part. What talent and discipline! Each of the four choirs spent a tremendous amount of time practicing. Each choir had a specific goal. A youth choir got to sing in Carnegie Hall in a mass choir. Were these kids excited!

    I have had the privilege of sitting in a choir and to be surrounded by the music. It was awesome! It's a different sound  you  heard  from being  in the audience. It was "surround sound" that you heard with your body.

    I certainly support the teaching of choral music in schools. For many kids this is their only exposure to choral music. They learn to listen to themselves. In many cases they develop a life long skill and participate in many different areas.

   Many of you are singers. At this time of year you are working on beautiful Christmas music to be presented in the season. So enjoy your time learning the Christmas pieces and I will enjoy listening to you and think of all your hard work to make beautiful music.

   I would be curious as to how many of my readers are singers in some way. Do you sing in a group? Do you sing as you go about your work? Do you sing in the shower? Are you a professional singer?

21 comments:

  1. As with you I can't sing. So many people have told me "that's rubbish, everyone can sing, you just need to be taught" they the embark on enthusiastic tuition which they always abandon after a few hours and then say "you really can't sing can you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love singing, I do find it difficult to find an appreciative audience though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was exposed to choral singing and to playing in a band as a child. I have absolutely no musical talent, but they were kind to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Red I played the sticks too honestly what kind of instrument was that I wanted the tammborine:) I sing around the house and in the car where no one can hear me so I understand:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was asked to sing with a small group at church. Can't read music and remember the strained look when my choir director came by me in earlier years. Love to listen and attend a contemporary service so get to try out my voice once in a while. I have a huge CD collection, and say I play the stereo for my musical abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a singer, but I hum sometimes with a song I hear on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sing for the shear joy of singing - I used to sing in a band when I was young, sang at parties, sang at pubs all over Europe - Did not dance :) Sir Red, you may not have the ability to sing, but (as my Dad used to say), "Mr. Man, you got lots o'other talents". Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't sing any more, Red. I've got some friends who are in choirs and I listen to them and enjoy it. My voice sounds like an old lady's trying to sing without any talent. And that's exactly what my voice is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a singer per say, but I do like to sing along with a song that I know the words to. I can even carry a tune! Loved this post, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree with you. If the coaching is from the school level then children will enjoy it and tend to explore lore in that direction. Nothing like music.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i used to sing in the church choir as an elementary school kid - just me with some older women who helped lead songs at 8 a.m. mass. then i joined choir in junior high and high school. i still sing to myself sometimes, but most often i find myself humming or whistling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My oldest Granddaughter is a natual singer since knee high to a grasshopper. She is 21 now. She has performed on stage. Singing in front of 200 people is not any problem.
    I can see why she has picked now three years of University to be a school teacher.

    Last year her and brother came down to visit one January day . Brother now sings and plays guitar.

    Surprise, surprise. He used to be so so shy.

    Well you talking about when the other person sings in a choire and the other one sings he or she should come in just the right timing. Is amazing.
    They did that for a couple of songs for hubby and I. It was beautiful.If you know that singer Adel she is number English or Londerner. My Granddaughter can sing some of her songs.

    My hubby can sing. He used to sing to me when we were dating in Dutch. The melody is nice even though you dont know the English translate. Beautiful.

    My other Grandson . He write's his own music and sings and plays guitar in his spare time. Now another surprise.

    He is now at Chef school in Toronto to be a French cook.


    I know Red it seems I I always put too much comment in on your blog but you have great topics. I cant seem to keep my mouth from wagging .

    Have a good day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no musical ability, can't carry a tune. There have been many times in my life when I would have gladly traded my artistic ability to be able to sing or play an instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was always very involved with chorus and band when I was in school. I loved it, but have no special talent - just an ability to carry a tune and read music. I still love singing, but mostly in my car.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I spent many years in choirs (age 13 on!), church and semi-pro. I lived choral music. I've had a tough time putting up with the groups lately, though. That and the group dynamics. Drives me nuts!
    My hubby knows all the words to the Sound of Music, but he's not allowed to sing it! :-Q

    ReplyDelete
  16. Music has always been a part of my life. I grew up singing: along with the radio, in church, with my family in occasional performances. I used to sing at home, while I worked. I sang to my kids. As they got older they didn't want me to sing. I sang less and less. I still like to sing but I can tell I am losing my ability. Use it or lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no talent for music but I have always listened to music, mostly classical but not only. I like the fact that it never becomes unfashionable. The pieces you listened to at 20 are still being played when you are 50, and you appreciate them even more because you know them much better.
    I like hymns and sing along but you wound not want to hear me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is interesting. Before reading the comments, I glanced down at the names and faces that I know and tried to predict who would claim that they can not sing and who would report that they can. I was pretty accurate.

    Nope, I can't sing. I can sometimes carry a tune well enough.. and other times not so much. But it is always fun to sing along with music - especially if nobody is around to hear it and snicker. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am totally tone deaf, and sing way off key..I only sing in the car..by myself. ALONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Once I played Oliver Twist (when I was ten) in a school play. I sang, I danced! It was quite a big production, we were accompanied by members of the Calgary Philharmonic. I have no idea if I was any good - so long ago. After that I began to play guitar and bass and in my early twenties I played professionally in bar bands. Once my voice changed, I was never much of a singer, but that doesn't stop me from singing when need be...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Red the only time I sing is when nobody is around, in my car, in my home... or the odd time, very odd time, I can be coaxed into singing at karaoke only if someone sings with me and I can get drowned out. I love to sing, just don't have the gift of it.

    ReplyDelete