Sunday, November 24, 2013

Football Lost Me!

    Today is Gray Cup day in Canada. The final in the Canadian football League ( CFL ) is being played today. Football is a big deal in Canada. There are nine competitive teams and markets. The league has been in business for over 100 years. We could say that the game is well established in this country.

     However, I'm not watching the biggest game of the year in the CFL. I quit watching football a long time ago.

     I was a big fan of football. I played football in high school. I'm from Saskatchewan and was a big Saskatchewan Rough Rider's fan. I went to some games although I lived 200 miles from the city. The Rough Riders are in the Gray cup today. I'm not watching!

    I have watched some American football but I didn't get interested in it. American football has a huge following in Canada.

    What happened? I guess I changed and the game changed. 

    I lived in the arctic for five years. I was not able to follow the sport. I was still an avid Rough Rider fan. I moved again and was not in my team's area. I found other interests. Football gradually faded  away for me.

   I also found TV coverage to be a pain. There was too much talk from color men. There were too many long commercials. I just wanted to see the action. 

   So I have not watched football for at least 20 years. The game continues to grow. There are more fans than ever who enjoy the game. I'm happy that they get so much out of football. But foot ball for me is gone!

   My local followers will be razzing me tomorrow!

17 comments:

  1. Sorry, I don't know anything about football. Soccer is the game we like around here.. :-)

    All the best from the Netherlands,
    dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soccer is also becoming big here. There is a large rec program for kids.

      Delete
  2. i do not follow or watch any professional sport. i can't get over the amount of money we pay to these athletes via exorbitant ticket prices, etc. some way, some how, it needs to be gradiated into something more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me there are many choices other than watching sports on TV. Yes, the money is disgusting.

      Delete
  3. I never really watched any sports, but my Dad loved football and used to have great Grey Cup parties! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to know what percentage of people do not watch sports. I think there is just too much hype!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm. I totally gave up pro football about the same time. My reason was mainly the weekly criminal reports on many of the NFL players. The local team was typical. Weekly drug, alcohol, wife beatings and felonies with many of my young male students wearing their "heroes" T shirts did me in. The local "love boat scandal with teen age girls was the last straw....:( BTW the did know the Canadian game when Bud Grant coached the Blue Bombers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud Grant was a long time ago. Grant was a class act. Pro sports is scandal ridden. Performance enhancing drugs make the whole thing a farce.

      Delete
  5. Red I've been to one football game in my life, that was about enough of that sport for me. It was cold, I don't totally understand the game and to watch it on TV, no way, I have much better things to do with my time. I won't raz you by any means, I support your decision not to watch a game of commercials with a bit of football thrown in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember being very cold after football games. I have many other things I'd rather do than watch sports.

      Delete
  6. Consider yourself not razzed. Hubby watches NFL. I just play on my computer and keep him company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't razz anybody who watches sports. To each his own!

      Delete
  7. Football, or soccer, has not my very interest. We have tv programs here in which men are endless talking with each other about the games. It is so very boring to listen to, but that is the difference between men and women I think....
    Enjoy your game Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch any sports. I'm the same as you. I can't stand people yapping about what's so special about the game.

      Delete
  8. My hubby and I love soccer. My hubby is from Netherlands also.

    Watched it yesterday.I love my one player Rooney guy. His running his foot work and his goals. Wow. He is a wee young man but he is the best.

    Now there is another soccer guy. Riggs . A guy who turned 40.

    He is really good player still.


    My two Grandson brothers are Football they played for two years.

    Then other grandson is Hockey and rugby.

    I tried to watch Football. Wow it is like road runner. They never get there..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find soccer difficult to watch as I don't really understand the game. Everything is run around and back and forth and then like an explosion a team gets to shoot on goal.

      Delete
  9. Don't ask me why, dear "Sir Red", but I have been a Green Bay Packer Fan ever since I can remember, and follow the Boston Red Sox and I am CANADIAN, eh. I love the sports, hate the commercials and all the bling and blippitty bloo da, but get past that and truly enjoy the game. I find my most fun is going to our High School Football, hockey n soccer, n ball games and there's lots of that going on in a small town. Have a Happy New Year Sir Red and Mrs Sir Red. he,he - now, I'm just being silly :)

    ReplyDelete