Sunday, May 27, 2012

Spring Bird Count : Day Two

     Today was my second session of spring bird count. Today I counted at a location called Slack's Slough. This is about 150 acres of water and then about 150 acres of riparian area. The soil around the slough is fairly alkaline so the general area has grass which grows under these conditions . Of course, there are no trees or brush. Most of the water's edge has a heavy growth of reeds. There are very shallow areas suitable for waders. 
The whole slough is rimmed by a heavy reed  bed.


    As you look across the slough there are 100's of birds. There is a wide variety of species. Since the distance is great and the reeds are thick there is a challenge to see some of the birds you hear. A good scope is really needed as further out I can not see the colors. I know that there are three species of grebes out there but I cannot identify which is which. I was lucky to find a beautiful Amereican Avocet right by the parking lot when we arrived. 
There are a few trees in some areas.


     So I picked up 17 species and hundreds of individual birds. It was a very pleasant two hours sitting on a viewing stand.


My friend Mike who called out the names of the species for me to record.
    

18 comments:

  1. Yesterday I counted within the city. Today I was less than five miles out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool that you do this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome that you do this - it would be interesting, but then, I can't identify enough birds to make it worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you actually have to see the birds and not count them just from their call? I can see why it's important to have two people on a team. Plus you have company and two sets of eyes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can count by call. You can actually listen to see if you can get different directions for the sounds . if not err on the side of caution and count one.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your bike ride and now the last two posts on the bird count...and I enjoyed the flora of your area. THANKS!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it's always interesting to see something different. It's part of the reason I like your blog. You describe a different style of life.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure if my comment made it ....Thanks for the last three posts. I enjoyed all of them.
    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an enjoyable two days and so great to be informed. I enjoy the birds that live around us and look forward to their homecoming in the spring, watching them build their nests and watching the new babies grow, all to fly off in the fall (most of them). These two posts were great and love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. But I do like the little guys who stay with us all winter.

      Delete
  8. To know all those birds by their call is something! I would get them all confused for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many recordings now . The Cornell bird site gives sounds and you can take it into the field.

      Delete
  9. You are right. It was addictive! I'm finding lots of birds nearby, too.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could spend much more time with birds. My wife always says, "You're for the birds."

      Delete
  10. We did ours in the Black Hills 2 weeks ago, I had a great time being out in the early morning all by myself with the birds and the creek.

    ReplyDelete