Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Doctor Has Spoken: But Was I Listening?

        A few days ago I posted about getting the results of an EEG. I had posted before about having to go all night without sleep in preparation for the EEG.

        On Sept. 7 the neurologist gave me the results. She told me that there was an indication in one part of the brain of faster wavelengths. This she said would indicate an area prone to seizures and that the incident I experienced June 19th was probably a seizure.

       If you read the post "The Doctor Has Spoken" you will see that I had a very healthy dose of denial. I used one term "iffy" for the diagnosis. I also said that I had seizures as a youngster and what I had June 19th was not a seizure. I was very critical of the neurologist's diagnosis. The neurologist prescribed medication to help prevent seizures. I wasn't comfortable taking this medication but I respected her professional opinion and went along with the prescription.

      Since that time my view has changed. The first medication prescribed did not agree with me at all. I had poor balance, extreme drowsiness, tics in my hands and feet and some loss of appetite. A different prescription was given. I waited four of five days for me to recover from the first prescription, but really I was delaying facing up to the issue. Then I googled seniors and epilepsy. I wasn't expecting to find anything. I was surprised. I found many excellent sites. What I gathered is that in the last ten years researchers have discovered that many of the symptoms shown by seniors are really the results of seizures. So bouts of confusion and memory loss, which is  common in some seniors behavior, is the result of seizures. They have tested and found areas of the brain with increased rate of activity. They put the two things together and come up with the premise that many seniors are having seizures.

      Once I read that research shows evidence of seniors with seizures I sat back and started to accept the truth of my diagnosis. It then made sense for me and why I was taking medication for seizures.It is to  prevent seizures and to allow me to live a normal quality of life. I can carry on with all the activities I normally take part in. Yesterday I ice skated and had no problems whatsoever.

      So it took a while. I had heard  the neurologist but I had refused to really accept what she was telling me. I see the neurologist in October again so I will admit that I had a healthy dose of denial but  since that time I have seen the light.

15 comments:

  1. What's really great about this post, is that you have seen the error of your ways, and learned that knowledge is power. Denial gets us nowhere....just a longer route to the actual acceptance that we need to get to anyway. Good for you, Mr. K, for accepting and carrying on. Google has answers for (almost) everything!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that guys seem to have a problem with truth and reality. They seem to want to bend things. I'm speaking from experience! It was interesting to look at the first post and see what I actually said. I was caught in my own web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a healthy skepticism is a good thing! Good for your for researching, too. This is an important facet of taking responsibility for our won health. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's just amazing, Red. And I will be interested to know if this new medication works for you. It's news to me that seniors are often having seizures that are mistaken for other problems. I'll be keeping an eye out for that in myself and my friends (and partner). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully they get the prescriptions tuned so you have the best of both worlds. There are lots of benefits now that they didn't have in the past.....embrace them;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult to see ourselves with any type of medical problem...yes, it's denial...I have a bad case of it because I really dislike the medical society...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right that we really have to be on our toes. The best websites on this topic were from good old Ontario!
    My family Doc is my age and we're both kind of dozey on some days so I'm glad the neurologist is on the bit ...in fact she's great.
    You are certainly an expert on these issues and I value your judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm confident the medication works. It worked when I had seizures as a little kid . Google senior epilepsy and you'll be surprised what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This medication is fine as far a side effects are concerned. There's lots of great stuff in medicine but you still have to watch out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Judy, there are good reasons to be sceptical. My family Doc was great in his day but he is my age and some days we;re not half as smart as we think we are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just a tad freaky to think you are, or have been having, seizures! However, I'm not surprised that you found out more research indicates seniors experience these and have additional health symptoms or complications as a result. So many things are not understood, or present such vague symptoms that it's hard to say what's going on.
    I applaud the fact that you don't take all medical advice at face value; it's healthy to be skeptical, ask for other opinions and do some research.
    Hope the new meds do the trick and keep you healthy and active!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. Kind of freaky to think you've been having seizures!
    But, I'm not surprised to hear you say that the research is showing that seniors may be experiencing these things, and then being confused with other ailments. So many things are not well understood (geriatric medicine is one of the least focused on, which is ironic these days, given population dynamics), and lots of symptoms can seem so vague and therefore easy to misdiagnose.
    I also applaud your skepticism and refusal to take information at face value. Quick fixes are not necessarily the right ones. Second or third opinions can be helpful to either dispel or reinforce information - in your case, digging deeper meant you did recognize the situation for what it is, and are now fully prepared to deal with it.
    I sure hope the new meds do the trick and keep you healthy and active!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, the most important thing about this diagnosis is that it is fairly solid. I don't have to worry as I did before whenthey didn't find anything wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well it was good news /bad news..bad news being you had a seizure good news meaning you have a medicine to take that will help you live normally. It could have been a much worse diagnosis..I am pleased that you went past anger..to denial and now acceptance:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Far Side it' rather interesting that I know all the stages you're talking about. I wouldn't have noticed except that I had written about it.
    I've been on seizure medication before so I know it works if you take it.

    ReplyDelete